Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mr. Potato Head Memory

Speaking of Mr. Potato Head (see post below) I was wondering if I remembered my childhood days of playing with my Mr. Potato Head toy correctly. When I tell the story to some people, they think I'm making it up, they even laugh at me! I know it sounds like a "I walked ten miles to school uphill in the snow, both ways," kind of thing.

I remember playing in the kitchen, while my mom or grandmother worked away, with my Mr. Potato Head. Which was a real potato! I'd sit on the floor, in the corner in between the fridge, which was -- yes -- turquoise, and the pantry, or long cupboard, where we kept food, including the bins of onions and potatoes. I'd sit there, happily sticking felt and plastic face parts and accesories into a potato or two.

This would have been about 1958 or so. The toy came out in 1952.

According to Wikipedia, Mr. Potato Head first came out with only the pieces, not the plastic head:
It was originally produced as separate plastic parts to be stuck into a real potato or other vegetable. 
Mr. Potato Head was born on May 1, 1952. The original toy cost $0.98, and contained hands, feet, ears, two mouths, two pairs of eyes, four noses, three hats, eyeglasses, a pipe, and 8 felt pieces resembling facial hair. The Original Mr Potato Head kit did not come with a "Potato Body," so parents had to supply their own potatoes for face-changing fun.

No comments: